Saturday 2 April 2022

A Mermaid-tastic lockdown birthday!

It's been 2 years since I posted on the blog, but I need to resurrect it because I do love the family record it is for us and the kids and I love to look back and read earlier posts and relive the memories! The other day I genuinely couldn't remember if Byron and I had rode on the cable cars at Santa Cruz beach on our American road trip! It was something I had desperately wanted to do but I know when we got there, because I was pregnant there were lots of rides I couldn't go on and I couldn't remember whether we rode them or not! So I looked up the blog post and found a pic of us riding them and so that was my answer! As I get older, I'm sure my memory will fail me more, haha, and so this is another reason to keep the blog going!!! and co-incidentally I just caught covid (finally) and so I have some extra time on my hands with not being able to leave the house!! 


So Ella's 7th birthday was memorable for all the wrong reasons, thanks covid! Lockdown had begun in January in Scotland and it was still ongoing when it came time for Ella's birthday, which was pretty unfortunate since we had only moved to Carnwath in December and it would have been a perfect way for Ella to get to know more of her school friends better to invite people over for a party - but that wasn't an option! So we really wanted to make a fuss of Ella and still make it special.  It had been a tricky transition for her moving, and not just moving, but moving in a lockdown! She was missing friends, she had only been at her new school for one week before lockdown struck so hadn't really had time to make new friends yet and I just felt sorry for her in the situation she found herself in so we partied hard! It began with plaits the night before so that they could have mermaid-tastic waves on the day of the party...


Decorations were set up...


and we got some awesome balloons from our fave balloon lady in Selkirk, and these oh so adorable teepee tents for a fun mermaid themed sleepover! 


They were a big hit with the girls! Even I wished I had one to sleep in, haha!


They made some mermaid plaques for their bedroom doors...


and played all the traditional party games



Auntie Mara sent Ella this perfect headdress for a mermaid! and made that super cute mermaid print paper bunting too! 


We had a colouring in competition...



and of course they had to have a bath before bed to use their mermaid tail bath bomb! 



The fairy lights really made it so cute for bedtime! 


Granny Donny had found these amazing mermaid pjs for them! 


Complete with mermaid tail too! 


They had a little late night snack from our treat club doughnuts that I had ordered for the occasion


Piping on their toppings!



and testing out how tasty they were! 


They were Nutella brownie stuffed doughnuts of dreams! 


All ready for bed after a very exciting day of fun! 


and then 2 days later on her actual birthday she got set on her present opening! I was honestly blown away by how many people remembered her special day and she was truly spoilt from my school and uni friends even, to her friends from her old school, to new church friends, and all our extended families - I know everyone had made the extra effort due to it being lockdown and we were so grateful!



I mean how happy is that little face right there?! 


Lots of people got the mermaid memo with her cards! 


When it's your birthday, a pancake breakfast is a must! 


Ella loves a Biscoff/Nutella combo!


and then she cracked on with the lego building!


and got stuck in to some cake!


Nutella and oreo frosting and layers upon layers of chocolate cake!


Granny Kathy's present arrived just in time, some homemade mermaid inspired lampshades!


Ella was very impressed


and we got them set up in her room


and Dad got cracking on her new lego table!


Ta-da! Each drawer contains a different colour of lego pieces, and then she has all the space on top to build new lego creations! Just perfect for our little lego lover!

So that was a wrap on all the birthday hoopla! We sure do love celebrating and making Ella feel special since she's such a special part of our family! So glad for her that she only had to have one lockdown birthday and that this year was back to normal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment