Sunday 27 January 2013

Winter Wanderings


On New Year's Day we decided to take our sleepy little selves (after a very late night in Whistler) up to Lynn Valley.  Whenever, we want to get out and about...and it's not raining, we default to this place! 



Plus one of By's classmates from Bangor Uni had just arrived for his semester abroad here and so we thought we'd give him the tour! 



The water was as clear as it always is! 


and the foresters busied themselves with talking about trees! 


The next day we woke up to find it still wasn't raining...and it was blue skies! These two things rarely happen at once in Vancouver! By had started back at Uni and so I defaulted back to my favourite place when the sun is out...Queen Elizabeth Park.


We had got a thick covering of frost that morning and so everything was looking pretty! 


I may have got a little carried away with my picture taking!


Frost covered pinecones...


Frost covered leaves...


Frost covered I don't know what - but I thought they looked cool! 



Check out that thick frost on the ground! it was so thick it looks like snow here! and I loved that sun streaming in behind the trees! 


I also loved this little peek of the city with the mountains looming behind!


A few days later, the sun was still shining and rain was still nowhere to be seen! I do believe we had about 11 days of rain free weather in a row (this was shout from the rooftops amazingness!) so of course we had to get out and enjoy it! 


We hopped on a bus and headed out to Spanish Banks beach, right by UBC.  We managed to catch this cool view of the skyline in the distance in one direction...


and in the other it was just pure mountains!


Snowy topped mountains!


The sun was out in full force and we were loving it!


We kept walking around the coast, it's just beach after beach.


I think this particular one was called Tower beach.


The sun was starting to set...and everything was looking more magical by the minute!


If we lived closer, I'm pretty sure we'd walk these beaches daily!


By climbed up on this rather precariously positioned branch...I took so many photos in a row because I was sure he was going to slip and fall any minute! Fortunately for him, he didn't!


This picture makes me smile...turquoise boots with the sea underneath, the last time I took shots with the sea and turquoise in the same shot...the turquoise was my painted toes and we were in much warmer climes! 

 

In fact standing on that beach watching that sunset really reminded me of our local beach, Leeward, in Turks and Caicos.  I could have been mistaken for thinking I was in Turks and Caicos with an amazing sunset like that...had it not been for the fact I was wearing thermals, 3 other layers, wellies and a scarf and hat (and I was still cold!).


So cold...that we took the shot above and started heading back to the road to go home, but as we got closer to the bus stop the sunset was getting more and more amazing so we had to stop and get out all our gear again to get this final final shot!


By declared it was the best sunset he had ever seen! Bold words! It was certainly one we won't forget in a while, and a lovely way to spend a rain free evening in Vancouver!

No comments:

Post a Comment