Monday 22 November 2010

Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy...


Today I am grateful for...Good Food!
For as long as I can remember I've been a Foodie! I don't mean that in the fine dining connoisseur sort of way, I definitely don't have an incredible and adventurous palate and I don't know my veal from my beef...but I do LOVE food! 

In fact some of my earliest memories revolve around food! When I was 4 my grandparents from South Africa came to visit us...it was the first time I was 'meeting' them, along with a trip across the channel to France I'm sure we shared some amazing memories with them during their stay but the only thing I remember about the whole trip is the cookies with red and green jelly's on top that they brought to us when they arrived!!  When I was 5 we holidayed in the Swiss Alps, I don't remember the husky dog rides but I do remember whilst on a mountain train being given a giant tube of chocolate smarties by a Chinese tourist.  In my eagerness to eat them I opened the tube upside down and watched in dismay as they tumbled down the carriage of the mountain train as we ascended on a slant! 

It's not surprising then to hear how good food can brighten my spirits! When in Thailand last summer, my picky palate was suffering with some of the Thai cusine I was experiencing so when I stumbled upon a can of A&W root beer in the middle of the Chiang Mai jungle I declared it the best day of the trip so far! When I'm cycling home from work on a Monday and I suddenly remember it's Mexican Monday it's amazing how fast I can speed up my peddling! and today when I was struggling through my day at work and Byron arrived with a pick me up treat in the form of a Peanut Butter Oreo Cakester my day was transformed! We don't get Oreo Cakesters back in England, but being the huge Oreo fan I am I actually ordered some last year from America to try them out...I tried them in vanilla and chocolate variety but had no idea a peanut butter variety even existed! I'm grateful for a thoughtful husband who knows just how to cheer me up! and grateful to be living on this Island amongst so many yummy American treats! 

No doubt that in years to come I won't look back and remember the potcake attacks in Provo, but will remember my time here with fondness because of the freely available American delicacies we are able to enjoy! 


1 comment:

  1. Hmm I want a cakester! Yum! It's true I am sure you don't remember our little disagreement on the way back from Gumby's only the lovely greasy pizza! Hmmm.... x

    ReplyDelete